I’m feeling inspired after showing my colleague these pretty cool tips that you can use on your Gmail account. If you think you’re in love with Gmail already, think again. Here are 2 tips that will make you love your account even more.
If you’re someone who loves to explore around, you may have came across these additional functions already. They are my absolute favourites, and not to mention, life-saver at times. I’d definitely recommend anyone with a Gmail account to enable these functions to make life easier and reduce some grief.
First, head to Settings (under the gear-looking icon on the right-hand corner) and select Labs.
1) Undo Send
Oops, hit “Send” too soon? Stop messages from being sent for a few seconds after hitting the send button.
This function has saved me countless of times. It gives you 3 to 5 seconds to realise that you have made a mistake, and quickly click on the “Undo” link, and viola! Your mail goes back to draft mode and you get the chance to right your wrongs.
Downside: I developed the tendency to keep hitting “Undo” just to make sure I haven’t made any typos/mailed it out to the wrong person/forgot to attach a file.
2) Quote Selected Text
Quote the text you have selected when you reply to a message.
This works great for email threads that go on forever. You want to hit “Reply All” instead of starting a fresh email cause you want your message to have a context, but you’re afraid that the key message you want to bring across gets lost in the 10,000 characters that come with the email thread.
So here comes this function that allows you to quote only the portion of the email that you select (by highlighting the text) when you hit on “Reply/Reply All” while keeping you on the same email thread.
Downside? If you’re a frantic text highlighter i.e. someone who keeps highlighting stuff as you browse a page, you’d end up with weird chunks of text or bits of a sentence when you accidentally hit on the reply button.
Either way, these 2 functions have served me very well. Try them and let me know what you think!
- Secret tip: How to undo an email (news.optuszoo.com.au)
- Here’s How To Undo A Sent Email In Gmail (businessinsider.com)
- Tips for improving your Gmail productivity (features.en.softonic.com)
- How to Un-Send Your Email in Gmail (But Actually) (threescoops.net)
- Here’s How To Undo A Sent Email In Gmail (embargozone.com)
- Secret tip: How to undo an email (news.com.au)
- Revealed: The hidden feature that lets you UNSEND a Gmail (but you have to be quick) (dailymail.co.uk)
- Gmail Users Can Now “Unsend” Emails Sent By Mistake (androidheadlines.com)
- Prone to sending emails to the wrong person? The hidden Gmail feature that unsends messages (metro.co.uk)